Sunday, February 20, 2011

Someday it's Sunday

Today was my day off from work. I usually try to be productive and I am usually for the first 2 hours after I wake up. Then I become bored being in the apartment all day and just end up watching tv or browsing aimlessly around on the internet. However today I decided to update my website and blog. I started designing a new website, for which I purchased a new domain name. (theunholyharvest.com)... it will be basically a portfolio site of all my artwork. A place where people can go learn about me as an artist, explore my style, and checkout my resume. The link is now live, so please check it out and spread the word!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Speaking of new things... I ordered a new bike Thursday night. I had to get a new bike because my schwinn frame bent the rear dropouts and axel the other day when I went out for a grocery store trip. The entire rear wheel locked up. I guess that is to be expected considering it is nearly a 40 year old bike with original parts. The new bike is a fixed/singlespeed flip hub. I am going to put my riser bars on the bike when it arrives. I have been constantly tracking the package through UPS which states it will be here at the apartment Tuesday before 8pm. I am so excited. Hopefully the weather here in Chicago becomes more spring-like. Courtney is ordering a new bike as well.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This summer will be so epic.. late night bike rides through downtown and to the beach.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Even on bikes, its hard to go to Target and pick up groceries and 34pound boxes of Fresh Scoop cat litter! We usually just ride the 18th St bus with tons of target bags full of stuff we bought...such a hassle. So recently, Groupon was offering up a Zipcar deal. We got a free year membership and $30 in driving credit all for $30 (a $70 original cost). Zipcar is basically a carsharing program large cities have. You just reserve a car for a particular time, use a special card to open, then just drive it around from the various lots they have throughout the city. Rates are around $6-$10/hr. I highly recommend it to anyone in the city. Our particular car was a Kia Soul ( the one from the hamster commercials).
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My zipcard wasn't working so we had to call customer serivce. Zipcar has amazing customer service! Once in it was really fun to drive around. It was the first time I have drove in Chicago. Courtney was a bit nervous. It was a great experience however.

While we were in the zipcar lot near racine and 18th we discovered a World Gym there. We were 30 minutes early to our reservation so Court decide we should go checkout the membership rates. We ended up taking a tour of the gym and now she has a membership there. It was fairly cheap. I will probably get a membership as well, just so she has someone to go with. It is definitely a hidden gem of a gym! Above the gym is a loft building. We found it online last night and it looks veryyyy nice. It is a bit out of our current budget at 1300/month considerably higher than the 700 we pay split 3 ways now. Nonetheless it is still amazing and still in Pilsen. Here are a few photos of the condos we are interested in:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic


On the art front, I made my first sale of the year. An old friend from school contacted me via Facebook wanting to buy one of my new pieces. It was an abstract piece I did, added a stencil by graffiti artist DOLK, and wheatpasted some text... basically an experimentation of color and composition. This painting is on a long journey. Chicago to Seattle. It's nice to get my art spread out in homes around the country. States that currently have a my artwork include... Illinois, Tennessee, Cailfornia, Kentucky, Wyoming, Mississippi, Arkansas, New York, and soon to be Washington... plus an international location of Berlin, Germany. Its mainly tourists that would come into the gallery I used to work at in Memphis. Hopefully I can get more work out there. I price my stuff fairly low to do just that... I want my art to be afforable and young people like me being able to have a piece of original artwork. I know I could never afford gallery pieces that I would see. I didnt own an original piece of artwork from another artist until a couple years ago. Checkout my website ( http://theunholyharvest.com) for purchasing work from me directly. Most prices are posted on there and it links you directly to my Paypal account for purchasing with a debit/credit card.

I am trying to be more productive. Recently I came across this website called Illustration Friday. Its basically a forum for illustrations to get a weekly topic to make a piece based on that particular and random topic as well as getting feedback and exposure. I plan on doing the projects every week. I even went out to Blick downtown and picked up 6 sheets of illustration board. This week's topic is "LAYERS". I am still not sure where I am going with this one. I will be sure to post on Thursday or Friday.

Oh, and I thought I would add in a cute photo of Courtney:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Have a good week, everyone.
-Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment