Tuesday, July 27, 2010

the sky is blue, yet I'm alright girl..

Well, it seems like I have been gone from blogging for months. What have I been up to? Several things. Mostly though just spending less time on the computer and more time being productive. Spending more time with my girlfriend CourtKaz. Oh and if you guys didn't already realize... you can pretty much follow me on her blog as well. She documents pretty much everything we do, which is cool I suppose. We can show our future-selfs what all w enjoyed in our beginnings of a great and loving couple.

So since we last spoke, I believe I was gearing up for my first Chicago art show
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

and we had just picked up our kittens Oliver and Nico. The art show went realitivally well considering it was only a 3 day show in a cafe. I pumped out three new stencil paintings within a matter of weeks. Seriously the paint was still wet on one while I was taking them on the CTA BLUE LINE to hang. The MAAF show went well. I met Scott who was the curator of the show and gave me the first opportunity to show my work in the Chicago art scene. He is a pretty cool guy. Nothin' Less Cafe held the show. Great cafe with great owners! Over the three days the show was held, I had to work downtown and didnt get a real chance to hangout with the other artist. After looking the other artists up online I found a couple artists that seem pretty cool that I showed with at the cafe. Jose Casillas showed some of his drawings
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
, which both Courtney and I really liked.
Then I really liked Jackie Capozzoli's stuff. Also learned that she is one of the artist doing the CTA train Project.
Overall, the show was too short, yet I heard my stuff got good reviews and I got my name out there!

Then just over a week ago, Court and I went on a small week long vacation to her family's house in Alpena, MI. I had never been to Michigan and it was definetly an adventure for me. We originally went for Court's yearly cancer check-up. Its been three years, and all good news so far.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
We have to go back in a few weeks to get some results on a needle biopsy. Having a girlfriend who has fought this diesease that lots of people have died from definitely makes you have some sleepless nights thinking. I have a postive attitude toward the life-long battle that she fights and I will always be by her side giving her the best life experiences I can. I love this girl so much.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic


So the trip started in Chicago. We left the apt at like 6am, which is a rarity for us. We rode Amtrack from Union Station up to Detroit (Roseville- suburbs) to her grandparents' house. They are super cute as a couple. Together for 55 yeras. I seriously had the best sandwich of my life here! they are these sandwiches from a small store in Roseville called 3D SPECIALS. I cannot tell you what was on it, just that it was beyond delicious. Erica, Court's cousin, took us to downtown Detroit. Reminded me alot of Memphis. I really want to go back and take some photos of poverty in America. After a few days there going to doctor offices and such, we headed north up to Alpena. Along the way we stopped at some cabins to met her family friends. There we finally got to go kayaking. This has really turned me onto the sport of kayaking. I am looking to get THIS!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
to spend some time in the Chicago river on hot summer days. We then continued on to .Alpena. is a cool little bay town on the coast of lake Huron. Its beautiful in northern Michigan and by the LAKES. Her family and friends were super nice. Loved meeting them all. One friday, we got up early and headed even further north. We went on an adventure to Mackinac Island.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
We rode a ferry which was really awesome. I love water and boats, possibly from growing up near a lake as a kid. The island is so unique beging that no motor transporation is allowed on the island... just walking, horses, or bikes.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Also the bridge to the U.P. is a marvel in itself. Longest suspension bridge in the WORLD! Yes, its 5 miles long.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

We also ended up swimming at her other grandparents cabin on LAKE AVALON
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
. Swimming with Court was very fun. Oh and I also bought a sweet new 35mm film camera with all the extras for 10bucks from some random person.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Love this camera! cannot wait to post awesome photos from it on here. Neways We have planned on doing that (swimming/picnic) in Chicago at the beach yet never get around to it.
All in all it was a great trip and I got to spend it all with my amazing girlfriend!

Now back up to today-ish. Fresh off my first Chicago showing, I have been invited to show my work for a second time. This time at Bleeding Heart Bakery's Oak Park store. They are reopening the store on Tuesdy and apparently I had good timing asking if they needed art. Thanks to Michelle (one of the awesome owners) I will be hanging my art possibly on sunday or monday of this week. I am trying to pump out two new pieces for it. Maybe even do some cupcake inspired prints. I must make a run to Blick and Evanston to get paint and supplies.

Of course I will be documenting all the progress and such on here.
Off to get busy with brainstorming ideas!
-Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment