Sunday, July 4, 2010

Court and I finally got kittens!!!!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Their names are Oliver(boy) and Nico (girl). We picked them up near an apartment on 31st and Kedzie after Court found it on Craigslist. We walked a majority of the way and it was blazing hot. Chicago can be ridiculously humid. CTA buses are hard to find running on Cermak and on Kedzie. All in all it was worth the trip. It was fun going to Target with Court and getting the kittens new stuff for the apartment.

Also I have been researching healthier eating for Court and I after watching the Food, Inc and Super-Size Me documenaries on Netflicks. (we also watched Jesus Camp, which was utterly creepy) Anyways, I have been trying to buy organic foods more, adding more fruits and veggies to our eating habits and reducing/eliminating proceed foods, high fructose corn syrups, etc. As well as eating meats and dairy that are treated humanely. I am trying to only eat things in season and that are locally grown (within a 150mile radius). I found a farmers market in Lincoln Park (Green City Market) that is open year round and is open wednesdays and saturdays. Then after a bit of research I also found a farmers market online and here in Chicago that delivers boxes of produce, meats, and dairy. All organic and locally grown. Irv and Shelly's is the name. Court and I are definitely planning on ordering some cheddar cheese, and milk in glass bottles! Definitely checkout their product list on their website. Its a bit pricy, yet its a healthier choice and you cut out the middlemen of grocery store chains by supporting local farmers. Give it a try! I found a FOOD BLOG thats pretty cool on Foodnetwork to help us find new ideas to make. I mean I am turning 25 in a few months... thats a quarter of my life... I better change my ways and eat healthy so I can live long an be a great contribution to society and stay healthy for my amazing girlfriend Court! I love you! Oh and I forgot to mention we are beginning to recycle now after watching NO IMPACT MAN documentary.


We have began separating our trash and will be taking it to a recycling center on 24th street I believe. Composting our food waste as well once again. Its our way of being more self-conscience of our decisions and helping in any way possible. You can checkout his website/Blog to gather ideas on how to eliminate/reduce your impact as well.


Paint the Sky Blue project is starting back up. My friend Nickole said I should submit it to the Pepsi Refresh Project. I have thought about it, so now Court and I have been filing out the extensive paperwork to submit the idea on August 1st. Voting will begin on that day, and will run for 30 days. We are hoping to build up a following and market this idea nationally so it can be funded. We are aiming for the 25K grant from Pepsi. 10,000 for art supplies to the children, 1500 for renting a gallery space and event, 6000 for national marketing, and money for the logistics. Please tell your friends. We need supporters to get this idea of the ground. Only the top 10 in the 25K grant category get funding. If you are unfamiliar with the Paint the Sky Blue Project here is a quick run down on the ever evolving idea:

The idea first came to me around two or three years ago as i was watching a video by the invisible children documentary. A woman was talking at her finances funeral about how right before his death in Iraq he was telling her that he wanted her to send him crayons and paper so he could teach the kids in this area were he was patrolling to draw and create art. letting them express how they feel and giving them a voice.
(the song is one of my favorites. Denison Witmer- Little Flowers)

Over the years this idea in my head has been evolving. I know art can be therapeutic... it has been for me. I know I want to help kids in poverty. This is my way of giving back.
The plan: 1.) Compile small boxes of art supplies.
2.) Distribute the boxes individually to each kid (8-12) within a struggling community.
4.) Each kid can take the art supplies home. It is theirs to keep.
5.) They will all be asked to create art. Anything they would like. And also ask them what improvements would they like to see in their communities.
6.) All art will be collected and gallery readied.
7.) A gallery show will be promoted and held within Chicago, IL.
8.) Art work will be sold at a set price as well as donations accepted.
9.) The money generated will be set aside in an account to pay for the kids improvements they want in their communities as well as aiding the community in creating public art spaces to brighten the town up.
10.) have Paint the Sky Blue become self-sustaining. Continuing to gather donations for art supplies. Help other communities. Possible spread globally. Find corporate partners such as Pepsi, Crayola, FedEx, etc. Maybe even produce a coffee table Art book of each community/ children's art and their story with the improvement project photos and the story of how the community was made better through art of its kids. Showing children can change the world, and they have a voice, art can be a huge therapeutic entity, and that poverty can be overcome with hope of a brighter day... just PAINT THE SKY BLUE!

P.S. ATTN COURT:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Thank you baby for always supporting my ideas and helping me with everything. I love you! =)

Anyways have a great day everyone,
-Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment