Sunday, February 26, 2012

February Inspiration

It has been nearly 7 months since my last post. I got bored with blogging about things and feeling like I was locked into a box of having to update the blog every week. I got lazy, stopped making weekly art, and gained 30 pounds. Maybe the reemergence of this blog is my attempt to make more weekly art, to document my inspiration, and to be more productive overall. Lately I have not been jumping into art shows just because I could. For now I am just focusing on MAKING art and building a better body of work that actually reflects my ideas and style. I recently picked up an unpaid illustration job for a food magazine. The project was to create two pieces illustrating the story of a guy going out to get pad thai after nearly getting shot in his apartment. I can almost relate to the story considering we live in latino gang influenced community. Pilsen for the most part is pretty laid back, but it can have it's moments where you want to get out of the hood. But back to the illustration project, a color limit of black, white, and chartreuse was given. I think putting a limitation on the project really helped it come out better than if free-range was given. Once I got down to actually drawing, I pumped these out in Illustrator in under 2 hours.
I like the way they turned out. Sometime in March I will know if they for sure will be used for the story and will get a copy for the near future. I will update more once I know.

Finally to document some inspiration I recent came across. And no, not all of it is art related. Lately the Juxtapoz Magazine blog has been inspiring me significantly. The Occupy movement is pushing my art direction. Some spiritual videos I found as well as some documentaries we found on Netflix have given me ideas to build upon. Here are a few to hopefully inspire you as well.





SUPAKITCH & KORALIE - VĂ„RLDSKULTUR MUSEET GĂ–TEBORG from elr°y on Vimeo.

I absolutely LOVE the line work in this mural. I want to know what paint markers they are using!






This sculpture by Thomas Jackson. It's plastic cups floating in a very vibrant forest. For some reason the contrast of green forest with bright colored cups draws me in then I reflect upon playing in the woods during my childhood, building forts out of fallen trees, mud, and leaves.




I am obsessed over how great this digital illustration is. I want to learn how to do this to my illustrations.

Post-Apocalyptic Cover Illustration | Timelapse from DEISIGN on Vimeo.





I recently found this video series that talks about spirituality and how mathematics, dimensional theories, and conscience play an interactive and interlocking role. This is 95%, almost exactly, how I think and what you could consider my religious views. I love math and how things connect.


Hope you liked everything. Look forward to some tutorials coming on my process of different art techniques. I plan on illustration some of my girlfriend Courtney's fiction writing as well. Hopefully this will be a fun weekly process maybe even a weekly web comic is to come! -Chris. http://theunholyharvest.com

No comments:

Post a Comment